What are biomimetic copper peptides?
Peptides are chains of amino acids - the building blocks of our proteins. Biomimetic peptides are specially synthesized peptides that mimic naturally occurring peptides. ("Bio" means "life" and "mimetic" means "imitating"). When these peptides are linked to copper, they are called copper peptides. The depletion of copper is partly responsible for signs of skin aging and hair thinning. Biomimetic copper peptides can be found in some high-end skin and scalp treatment serums and are believed to reduce signs of aging and premature hair loss.
What are the effects of biomimetic peptides on hair growth?
Biomimetic peptides, also called signal peptides or copper peptides, have been used to fight skin aging for many years and may have a few beneficial effects on hair regrowth.
- Copper peptides stimulate the production of new capillaries in the scalp. As we grow old, peripheral circulation in our capillaries can deteriorate and result in hair loss on the scalp. According to a 2018 research review, by producing new capillaries, copper peptides increase the supply of oxygen and nutrients to the hair follicles to promote hair growth.
- Copper peptides stimulate and prolong the hair growth phase (anagen). This means more time for active hair regrowth and thicker hair strands. Subsequently, this shortens the resting phase of the hair follicles (telogen) and decreases sudden hair shedding (telogen effluvium).
- Copper increases hair follicle size. This was shown in a study that used copper peptides to treat wounds due to their anti-inflammatory properties. Remarkably, the hair follicles around the damaged area had grown larger than expected.
- Copper plays a role in the prevention of premature hair follicle death.
- Copper boosts levels of collagen and elastin in the scalp.
What are the best biomimetic peptides to stop hair loss?
One of the best biomimetic peptides for hair regrowth is Biotinoyl Tripeptide-1. This tripeptide, also called GHK, is made of a chain of three amino acids. This chain of amino acids, glycine, histidine, and lysine, is a tripeptide with an affinity for copper. GHK is believed to signal the proteins that work with copper to stimulate the rejuvenation of aging cells in the skin and produce healthier skin and hair.
Lab studies suggest that Biotinoyl Tripeptide-1 can stimulate the cells in hair follicles to increase the production of some of the essential building blocks of the hair - Laminin 5 and collagen IV. Having more laminin and collagen is necessary to having natural regrowth of stronger, thicker, and longer hair.
Which anti-hair loss products contain biomimetic peptides or copper peptides?
Biomimetic peptides can be found in topical treatment serums and hair regrowth shampoos. The MDhair Restore Scalp Treatment Serum contains copper tripeptide. The MDhair Regrowth Treatment Shampoo contains Biotinoyl Tripeptide-1, the most effective biomimetic peptide type. The MDhair Restore Shampoo contains hexapeptide (a chain of 6 amino acids), and MDhair advanced eyelash serum contains Myristoyl Pentapeptide-17 and Hexapeptide.
What is the best way to use copper peptides?
The optimal way to use copper peptides is in a topical scalp serum. The best scalp serums will include, in addition to copper peptides, other medicated or plant-based active ingredients that will be synergistic with the peptides and help enhance their effect. Examples of such ingredients are saw palmetto berry extract and rosemary leaf oil extract, which support healthy hair regrowth by preventing the conversion of testosterone into DHT and reducing the effect of DHT on the hair follicles. Biotin and vitamin B5 can improve scalp circulation and increase the hair density.
- A Randomized Study of Biomimetic Peptides Efficacy and Impact on the Growth Factors Expression in the Hair Follicles of Patients with Telogen Effluvium
- Regenerative and Protective Actions of the GHK-Cu Peptide in the Light of the New Gene Data
- The effect of tripeptide-copper complex on human hair growth in vitro
Find the most effective hair growth products for you by taking the free hair assessment.